A simple, healthy dish inspired by some friends down under…
The Aussies have long appreciated a good grilled lamb, but for some reason it still hasn’t totally caught on here in North America. It still has something of a special event feeling, but when it comes down to it, it’s as affordable and tasty as any cut of beef.
This recipe is simple and healthy – and only takes about 20 minutes to put together, depending on the time it takes for your grill to heat up. Presentation is key here, so stick to stacking and get wild with the sauce.
Fresh Mint Sauce
1 cup fresh mint
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1 green chilli, seeds removed
2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
4 or 5 garlic cloves (peeled)
1/2 cup olive oil
Meat & Veg
1 lamb steak, approximately one-inch thick (room temp)
1 large zucchini, sliced lengthways into pieces just shy of a centimetre thick
Salt and Pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
Make sure your meat and veg are at room temperature, then turn your grill/BBQ and heat it to 500 degrees
Fresh Mint Sauce
Combine all items in a food processor (or use a hand blender) and blend until smooth but not perfect. Set aside.
Lamb & Zucchini
1. Pat the lamb dry with paper towel, then season it with salt, pepper, paprika and olive oil, rubbing it in with your fingers. Season the zucchini with salt, pepper and olive oil.
2. When the grill is at temperature, place the lamb on it and close the lid, leaving it in place for 3 minutes. Flip once and grill for an additional 2 minutes.
3. Remove the lamb and let it rest under a foil tent. While lamb is resting, place zucchini onto hot grill for 3 minutes. Flip once, and grill for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
4. Slice the lamb across the grain, into roughly half-inch pieces. Halve the zucchinis and stack them.
5. Add some of the mint sauce, then place lamb slices on top, with additional mint sauce on top of the lamb.
6. If you like, shave some parmesan onto it all – and serve!